10 August 2007

Cricketing Thoughts of Life

At a time when I should be actually looking to go down the track and attack the pace bowlers and spinners with same disdain – looking for a real take-off in my career - I am now forced into looking only for survival against this swinging red cherry in these overcast conditions – as my time is not favorable. But the state of affairs is very different for my other batting partners and my team mates. They are taking advantage of their good form and are making tons and double tons. I am on the defensive owing to my poor form and my opposition knows that a bit too well and hence their captain is using all his available strategies against me; for him this is an opportunity to test the efficiency of all his resources. Even part time bowlers are being used against me, they are swinging the ball both ways, changing the pace of the ball, bouncing me, yorking me, bowling half-volleys just outside my off-stump trying to induce a wrong shot from me and to top it all sledging me – problems in my life are just burgeoning.

My condition is such that I have to restrict my shots only to the on-side and have to leave alone balls coming outside my off stump, on that corridor of uncertainty – I can’t go outside my native place - since of late, I’ve been getting out by edging balls pitched outside my off stump to the wicket-keeper or to the slip cordon and that means any invitation by the bowlers outside the off stump has to be neglected. Balls outside the off stump are left alone, bouncers are negotiated by swaying away or ducking under, yorkers are dug out, and slow balls are defended smoothly. So this is my “restricted shot making strategy” – any balls on the pads are to be played away for runs and anything on the off side has to be left alone.

A very difficult scenario this is, but at this occasion I am made to recall the innings played by Sachin Tendulkar at the SCG on 2004, he played almost in the same way, because in that series he was not at all in good form and was edging balls to the wicket-keeper and to the slip cordon. And in that final test he was determined to play a long innings, he offered no shot to the balls that came outside his off stump, and played at only those that were on his pads. And of course, he made a double hundred there - a great innings of resolve, will power, grit and restricted shot play. This is exactly the sort of innings I should be playing at this time for, my form is poor, and the playing conditions are hostile.

But surely these conditions will change shortly; my good form will come back making me again a very proficient player all around the ground – there would be a steep rise in my professional life. Then there won’t be any restrictions on my shot making, balls coming outside my off stump will be played according to its merit, shot balls will be hooked and pulled away, slow balls will be picked up early and will be hit outside the park, will use the pace of the fast bowlers to send the ball screaming across the boundary line for fours and sixes, spin bowlers will be dispatched across the ropes by dancing down the track and the opposition will be made to do the leather chasing. But till that time comes, I would be strictly following my “on-side strategy”, as this life is a like a five day test match played on the bouncier tracks of the WACA, each day will test your character, your persistence, your concentration, your guts, your skill to learn from mistakes and also your problem solving technique.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Too Good Boss...:-))...Wonderful attitude reflected in each and evry line as well:-).....By the way, who is the captain who is taking advantage of the situ......:-?...

Related Posts with Thumbnails