04 December 2008

The Quintessential Lady

A humming bird sings and flies past me,
Then comes back and flies round and round,
Her humming, quite mirthful, quite jocund,
So does my beloved sister speak,
With a sound, quite mirthful, quite jocund,
My sweet, new sister, with whom,
I have vowed to share the stage of this life,
In her affectionate heart, an indelible pain,
On her charming face, an indelible smile,
For she had learnt the art of veiling,
Agonizing incidences of appalling yore,
Under pretexts of affable humour.

During vexatious days, befriended her parents,
And told them, “at times life can get painful,
Yet we mortals have to live on and on,
Like the sun that sets westwards every dusk,
Only to rise in the east every morn afresh”,
And she, my beloved sister, goes on in life,
As a dutiful wife, for her life’s companion,
He, her better half, lives so merry, so easy,
Often proclaims, “Life is simple when she’s near”
She to her son, a mother, so special, so great,
And all mothers are so special, so great,
God wisely sent to build heaven on earth.

In this world, where made are promises,
To be broken, shattered or forgotten,
I, being a poet, possess an emotional heart,
And words so honest, truthful and earnest,
Makes a conscientious promise and swear,
To my sweet, new sister, with whom,
I have vowed to share the stage of this world,
“Even while I would rest in my sepulchre,
Old, decrepit and dead, my sincere soul,
Will be encumbered with a brotherly affection,
Coveted by the angels in the heaven,
And the devils beneath the blue sea.”

I stand upon this world, pleased and awed,
To have done a thing often held implausible,
And now with pride to the world I announce,
I have discovered the quintessential lady.

(Written on and dedicated to my new sister who is perhaps the greatest woman I have ever met in my life, next only to my mother. Her story is an inspiration to all who know her and knowing stories like her's make us understand that this life is worth living, though it is besmirched with pains and troubles)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails